Sunday, April 12, 2009

Critical Review - Flores

I didn't even really know what 'boogaloo' was. I have been listening to a record called "Boogaloo to Beck" for years, a jazz tribute record to pop icon Beck, wondering what it meant: is the sound boogaloo? Are the songs boogaloo? Did they mean to write "bungalow"? Wtf? Needless to say, I was quite surprised to actual learn the history of boogaloo as Flores here describes it.

However, to hear that boogaloo is regarded as a short-lived, disregarded genre seemed funny to me because (though I should have guessed that) I actually that it must be some developed jazz subgenre, intricate and inaccessible. I find it interesting that a genre cast aside would then be appropriated by jazz artists. Anyway, while I realize it sounds like an aside, my discussion question relates:

Discussion question(s): Is musical language recycled? Genres? Styles? If so, how? Do the cultural associations transfer with the revivals or interpretations of a genre such as boogaloo? Where have we seen a similar appropriation of one music by another, and how has it functioned differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment